Coronavirus mask: make a homemade protective mask
Do you want to make a protective mask?
The National Academy of Medicine recommends that the wearing of the so-called “alternative” mask be made compulsory for outings during confinement. Faced with the shortage of masks which may still last a few weeks, Afnor provides a model of barrier mask and the Academy of Medicine validates a tutorial for the general public.
As pointed out by the World Health Organization (WHO), when you are in good health you must wear a mask if you are caring for a sick person suspected of being infected with Covid-19 but also when cough and sneeze . But it is important to know how to use it and put it correctly.
A tutorial for fabric treatment mask
However, among the barrier gestures to limit the spread of the virus, patients are recommended to wear a mask so that, when they sneeze or cough, the droplets remain inside the mask and do not infect those close to them. A recommendation that inspired the Grenoble university hospital center and more precisely Doctor Clarisse Audigier-Valette Pneumo, oncologist, who distributed in his services a pattern for a care mask in fabric composed of 2 layers of cotton fabrics and 1 layer of fleece placed between the 2 layers. The doctor recommends washing it every day at 30 ° with a conventional detergent.
Material necessary for the realization :
– Cotton scraps (approx. 20 cm) for the outside and the lining
– Fine fleece (a kind of thick flannel used to double clothing), fine fleece,…
– Soft elastic
– The boss
Tutorial in stages:
- Cut out the pattern (appendix)
- Cut the pieces of cotton fabric needed (see pattern): we get 4 pieces of fabric
- Cut the fleece (see pattern): we get 2 pieces of fleece
- Cut about 2 elastic bands of 30 cm for the large model (adapt the length to the desired size)
- Assemble the 2 pieces of outer fabric “right sides together”, rounded part
- Make the same assembly for the 2 pieces of lining fabric
- Assemble the 2 pieces of fabric obtained “place against place” by inserting the 2 pieces of fleece.
Sew only at the top and bottom: do not sew the short sides
- Return the assembly to the right side
- Topstitch the central seam (vertical)
- Topstitch the top and bottom a few millimeters from the edge
- Fold the short sides (2 times 1 cm) – iron
- Stitch a few millimeters from the fold to create a slide
- Slide the knot in the backstage for comfort